Riverlogue

This blog originates on the banks of the Atchafalaya River, in Louisiana. It proposes to share the things that happen on and by the river as the seasons progress. As the river changes from quiet, warm, slow flow to rises of eighteen feet or more, there are changes in the lives of the birds, fish, amphibians and reptiles that use the river. And the mood of the river changes with the seasons. I propose to note and comment on these things.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Butte La Rose, Louisiana, United States

I transitioned a few years ago from a career as a water-pollution control biologist. I want to do this blog to stay in touch with a world outside my everyday surroundings, whatever they may be. I like open-minded company and the discussion of ideas. Photo by Brad Moon.

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Parade of Eels


Today was a woodwork day. I have been collecting scrap cypress lumber for the 301-year-old birdhouses and some of it is more useful and some less for birdhouse purposes. I like to use the old rough unplaned (undressed my father would have said) lumber, and it needs to have not been painted. But, thinking that using the planed, painted wood for SOME kind of purpose is better than ending up in a burn pile, I don’t turn any of it down. Today was a day to use some of that kind of wood, and from it I built three benches to place out in the yard for occasional use. They turned out pretty well, I think. Picture later.

Down at the river the drift continues to float by, rather rapidly these days. Kind of like watching a parade from a curbside seat -you never know what you’ll see on the next float (sorry). Lots of pretty big trees went by today, but nothing spectacular – like an abandoned (or unchaperoned) boat. I’ve caught several of these. If you just catch them and tie them up, someone usually comes by to claim them, and some aren’t even worth tying up.

Big eel day in the shrimp traps. One trap had five eels in it. That’s the most I have ever seen in one of my traps. The cats thought a meal was to be had but apparently mouthfuls of slime put an end to that idea. Even Napoleon gave up. I wonder what that slime does taste like? I kind of started to get disgusted just thinking about the slime, and then I rememebered that I like smothered okra.

The river is at 11.0 on the Butte La Rose gauge and it will go up another half foot by Wednesday, but that’s where it ends. The Ohio and Mississippi are both falling hard – two and three feet a day! Looks like a real roller coaster year for the water. My friend in Charenton who is actually running crawfish traps by pulling his boat through the woods may have to stop that soon. He was asking about coon traps the other day, seems the coons are eating his crawfish. Now, they don’t do that if the traps are under the water, I don’t believe.

Rise and Shine, Jim

1 Comments:

Blogger Askinstoo said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
get a new game system, Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I sold mine and got some extra cash!

game system

April 01, 2006 2:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home