Riverlogue

This blog originates on the banks of the Atchafalaya River, in Louisiana. It proposes to share the things that happen on and by the river as the seasons progress. As the river changes from quiet, warm, slow flow to rises of eighteen feet or more, there are changes in the lives of the birds, fish, amphibians and reptiles that use the river. And the mood of the river changes with the seasons. I propose to note and comment on these things.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Butte La Rose, Louisiana, United States

I transitioned a few years ago from a career as a water-pollution control biologist. I want to do this blog to stay in touch with a world outside my everyday surroundings, whatever they may be. I like open-minded company and the discussion of ideas. Photo by Brad Moon.

Thursday, May 01, 2008

Just a Hummer

Sometimes things just hit you as being outstanding! This ruby throated hummingbird is such a thing. He joins several dozen of his kin trying hard to drain our feeders at a rate that will guarantee a good market for sugar for a long time. The females are showing rounded bellies that hide one or two eggs ready for laying. People ask about the possessiveness that some of these little birds exhibit. If there are four or five trying to use the feeder at the same time, the aggressive ones just seem to give up. “Oh well” almost fits the situation.

The river at the Butte La Rose gauge reads 19.7 feet right now, falling to 18.5 by the beginning of next week. The Mississippi and Ohio are both falling so there is no prediction for another big rise at this time. I’m still catching nice catfish on the lawn. The river has claimed two of my big shrimp traps. I have no complaints.

Rise and Shine, Jim

2 Comments:

Blogger db said...

Wow, what a beautiful photo!

I was just wondering yesterday how the
river in your yard was doing. Glad it doesn't sound like it's causing any problems.

Take care,
Dominic

May 02, 2008 3:04 PM  
Blogger jim said...

Thanks. The river has come and now is going, leaving no lasting effects. I haven't forgotton your offer.

Jim

May 06, 2008 9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home