Riverlogue

This blog originates on the banks of the Atchafalaya River, in Louisiana. It proposes to share the things that happen on and by the river as the seasons progress. As the river changes from quiet, warm, slow flow to rises of eighteen feet or more, there are changes in the lives of the birds, fish, amphibians and reptiles that use the river. And the mood of the river changes with the seasons. I propose to note and comment on these things.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Butte La Rose, Louisiana, United States

I transitioned a few years ago from a career as a water-pollution control biologist. I want to do this blog to stay in touch with a world outside my everyday surroundings, whatever they may be. I like open-minded company and the discussion of ideas. Photo by Brad Moon.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Late Afternoon



Late afternoon from the window at my desk. Boats with people in bright orange caps and vests were going up and down the river. Must be the end of a day of hunting on the lease across from our house. Sometimes I wonder what is going on over there. Often I see at least 30 people being ferried across the river to where they seem to have an almost endless stash of four-wheelers, and they start the motors and fade back into the forest. The thing is, I almost never hear anyone shoot from over there. Are the deer just very smart, or are the hunters just very unlucky, or maybe deer can see orange after all? I do know that sometimes they hunt with dogs because you can hear the baying from far away. But even then, almost no shooting. Could it be that if you put orange vests on the dogs, the deer couldn’t see them? I guess the men must succeed sometimes, otherwise why would they keep going out there?

Some folks have told me that they visit this site pretty often and even look forward to reading it regularly. Comments, by the way, are encouraged. You might think of it as us just sitting around a table in the kitchen with a pot of coffee (or?) and talking about stuff. I will be out of town for the next three days, so…

The river is at 4.3 on the Butte La Rose gauge today, but there is water coming. The Mississippi is rising some, and the Ohio is coming up almost three feet a day! That’s enough to give us the first real water of the season. We might see two more feet here by the 29th.

1 Comments:

Blogger Randall Leonpacher said...

Your ole buddy Dugan got to talking about your new blog while we were on our way down to fish Golden Meadow. So I had to check it out... I'm glad I did. I really enjoy reading your posts. Excellent work! .. or whatever it's called when in "retirement".

January 26, 2006 10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home