Riverlogue

This blog originates on the banks of the Atchafalaya River, in Louisiana. It proposes to share the things that happen on and by the river as the seasons progress. As the river changes from quiet, warm, slow flow to rises of eighteen feet or more, there are changes in the lives of the birds, fish, amphibians and reptiles that use the river. And the mood of the river changes with the seasons. I propose to note and comment on these things.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Butte La Rose, Louisiana, United States

I transitioned a few years ago from a career as a water-pollution control biologist. I want to do this blog to stay in touch with a world outside my everyday surroundings, whatever they may be. I like open-minded company and the discussion of ideas. Photo by Brad Moon.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Evictions


This year there are more gray treefrogs than we usually see. They are in unusual place too. This one was finding water in the top of a 5-gallon plastic can. And they are finding shelter in the birdhouses stationed around the yard. Grandaughter Elena found eight of them in one box yesterday and promptly evicted them one by one. An hour later they were all back inside the boxes.

The river is at 4.2 feet on the Butte La Rose gauge, rising to 5.2 feet in the next four days. The Ohio and Mississippi are both falling again so there’s not much more water coming down.

Rise and Shine, Jim

6 Comments:

Blogger Bud Forester said...

Hey Jim, if that river gets much lower, you may be able to plant a patch of greens out there.

September 04, 2007 11:35 PM  
Blogger Dragon James said...

I miss the frog/toad nocturnal serenade. Hearing lots of birds though...mostly chippies and downys. I got a new lifer at the feeder yesterday: red-breasted nuthatch (alongisde a white-breasted). You'll be happy to know that some black-capped chickadees are thinking about moving into your birdhouse!

September 05, 2007 12:14 PM  
Blogger jim said...

Thanks for the note on the wildlife in Wisconsin. If the chickadees do move into the birdbox, I hope it's for a winter refuge and not to nest. The timing might not work out.

Take care, Jim

September 09, 2007 10:18 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

That low river sure makes it tough hauling gear up and down the bank.

September 17, 2007 10:28 PM  
Blogger zigadenus said...

Hi Jim,
I've been enjoying your blog for a year or so, and I thought it was about time I said hello, especially after I mentioned your blog to my sister Stacey, and she said that she knows you.
I am a trained botanist but I don't do much botanizing lately as I am a homeschooling mom to 2 young boys. I would love to introduce them to your river one day, if you ever feel like telling some stories about life on the river.

Warmly,
Saundra in Lafayette

September 21, 2007 1:46 PM  
Blogger jim said...

Saundra, good to hear from you. Home schooling two young boys could knock the botanist out of anyone, I imagine. But know that you are gaining credit on the wheel of life, as they say. Hi to your sister, and yes, I'm always willing share river stories, even as a field trip for two small boys if your curriculum ever calls for it. Best, JIM

September 21, 2007 2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home