Riverlogue

This blog originates on the banks of the Atchafalaya River, in Louisiana. It proposes to share the things that happen on and by the river as the seasons progress. As the river changes from quiet, warm, slow flow to rises of eighteen feet or more, there are changes in the lives of the birds, fish, amphibians and reptiles that use the river. And the mood of the river changes with the seasons. I propose to note and comment on these things.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Butte La Rose, Louisiana, United States

I transitioned a few years ago from a career as a water-pollution control biologist. I want to do this blog to stay in touch with a world outside my everyday surroundings, whatever they may be. I like open-minded company and the discussion of ideas. Photo by Brad Moon.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Twenty Feet


Twenty feet. That's how much water it took to cover our dock to this extent. This was the high point, reached last week. There is about four inches of silt on the deck where I'm standing. So far nothing has been damaged, and I do get a kick out of catching various fishes in water covering lawn that I usually have to mow once a week. During the height of the water I caught channel cat, blue cat, goujon, eels, barfish and shortnose gars on a tightline stretched from the walkway to a stake I drove into the ground. Much fun.
The river is at 18.4 right now on the Butte La Rose gauge, falling to 17.4 by next Monday. The Mississippi and Ohio are both falling so this rise is fated to fade out gradually. More could come, but it would have to be new rain.
Rise and Shine, Jim

2 Comments:

Blogger Bryant said...

Jim,
Glad you didn't have any damages. I didn't see you at the Songbird Tour at Sherburne.

May 20, 2008 8:59 PM  
Blogger jim said...

Yeah, Bryant, me too. As to the songbird tour, just too much going on. If you have time, and by separate email, I would like to hear a little of what went on on the tour. Thanks for the comment.
Jim

May 21, 2008 11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home