Riverlogue

This blog originates on the banks of the Atchafalaya River, in Louisiana. It proposes to share the things that happen on and by the river as the seasons progress. As the river changes from quiet, warm, slow flow to rises of eighteen feet or more, there are changes in the lives of the birds, fish, amphibians and reptiles that use the river. And the mood of the river changes with the seasons. I propose to note and comment on these things.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Butte La Rose, Louisiana, United States

I transitioned a few years ago from a career as a water-pollution control biologist. I want to do this blog to stay in touch with a world outside my everyday surroundings, whatever they may be. I like open-minded company and the discussion of ideas. Photo by Brad Moon.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

2011 High Water – Four

Coming home from Lafayette late this afternoon I saw them finishing a levee being built to fend off water that would threaten the Butte La Rose Visitor Center. I had no idea anyone could build a levee so fast, all in one day. Now, why couldn’t they come and do the same thing around our house? Come to think of it, I guess I didn’t ask.

There is so much material (refrigerators, etc.) being trailered and trucked away from Butte La Rose right now that the whole area should just rise up several feet pretty soon. Ironically, then it wouldn’t be necessary to haul the stuff off. Oh well.

Going down to the river tonight I took a few pics of the dock after dark. The water is up to 19 feet now, and what’s that I see down there on the railing? Is it the first refugee with a banded tail? Not this time, it’s only Flurry the cat taking an evening stroll with me. She and her sister will be boarding with friends soon.

So many people have called and emailed offering help! You just never know how people respond to a perceived need. One gave us 54 packing boxes, the fold-up kind. Another is renting a U-Haul truck to load Saturday, and he’s coming to help load it! I am truly humbled by the response we are seeing. Sometimes, like now, it’s really fine to be a member of the human race. Sometimes.

The river is at 19 feet on the Butte La Rose gauge, rising to at least 22 feet a week from now. I wonder if you can smell in it the cities where the water has been? Can you tell Memphis from Vicksburg?

Rise and Shine, Jim









3 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

While watching the rising Mississippi, I thought about you and checked your posts. Praying all will be well with you and your family. Keep us posted if you can.

May 13, 2011 7:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hang in there friend! You've got even more in your corner for when you need it.

May 13, 2011 9:48 PM  
Blogger jim said...

That's a nice picture, Carolyn, thanks. And James, it's very gratifying to know. Thank you both for the comment.

May 13, 2011 10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home