Riverlogue

This blog originates on the banks of the Atchafalaya River, in Louisiana. It proposes to share the things that happen on and by the river as the seasons progress. As the river changes from quiet, warm, slow flow to rises of eighteen feet or more, there are changes in the lives of the birds, fish, amphibians and reptiles that use the river. And the mood of the river changes with the seasons. I propose to note and comment on these things.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Butte La Rose, Louisiana, United States

I transitioned a few years ago from a career as a water-pollution control biologist. I want to do this blog to stay in touch with a world outside my everyday surroundings, whatever they may be. I like open-minded company and the discussion of ideas. Photo by Brad Moon.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

2011 High Water - Nine

Leaving the house, the timing for it, has been determined by the authorities. The notice came out this afternoon. Mandatory evacuation of Butte La Rose will be in effect as of Saturday May 21. No one will be allowed into the community after 8:00 AM. The water should be at 23 feet by then, two feet higher than it is now. This is well before the road access is threatened (at least the part of the road that we use), and well before the water comes near our house. It seems a little premature to me, but I believe some of the roadway toward the pontoon bridge is lower than our portion, so all things considered it’s probably time to leave. We will be gone either Friday afternoon or Saturday morning.

It is harder to leave than I thought. And for how long? It is the not knowing what is happening that bothers me, and I am sure there will not be an effort to keep the migrated residents informed about daily conditions back here on the river. Not to be expected, anyway.

Tomorrow I will take a good look around and tidy up the place. Silly, but it feels right. Like cutting the grass yesterday. Why? It feels right to leave it looking good, that’s all. If I know Carolyn, she will do the same thing to the inside of the house before we go.

The river is not quite at 21 feet today on the Butte La Rose gauge. It has not really moved up or down for three days. Some think that the strong north wind that we had blew the water out into the bay faster than it would have gone with our usual southeast wind. So the rate of rise that we have been having came to a standstill. The river will make up for this in the coming week, I guess, but it seems to have helped slow the rise.

Rise and Shine, Jim

2 Comments:

Blogger shoreacres said...

I live at the edge of Galveston Bay, so evacuations are a part of life. We prefer they not be, but it's nearly time to begin checking paperwork, filling "The Suitcase" with personal treasures must be taken in the car, and so on.

I understand the lawn mowing. Every time our evacuation is forced, I'm overcome by an almost irresistable urge to wash woodwork.

The time between knowing evacuation will be required and actually starting the car always has felt to me like the time between a death and the funeral.
There's a suspension of time, a sense of being carried by events. I hope you, your wife and your community are carried gently.

May 19, 2011 8:52 AM  
Blogger jim said...

Well put. And keep the woodwork clean. Thanks.

May 19, 2011 10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home