Riverlogue

This blog originates on the banks of the Atchafalaya River, in Louisiana. It proposes to share the things that happen on and by the river as the seasons progress. As the river changes from quiet, warm, slow flow to rises of eighteen feet or more, there are changes in the lives of the birds, fish, amphibians and reptiles that use the river. And the mood of the river changes with the seasons. I propose to note and comment on these things.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Butte La Rose, Louisiana, United States

I transitioned a few years ago from a career as a water-pollution control biologist. I want to do this blog to stay in touch with a world outside my everyday surroundings, whatever they may be. I like open-minded company and the discussion of ideas. Photo by Brad Moon.

Friday, May 20, 2011

2011 High Water – Eleven

The day got progressively more tense. We were packing the final suitcases and other stuff to go and live with others. It was hard not to be depressed about leaving. Then things sort of turned around. In mid afternoon I got a call that informed me that the crest elevation for the river had been reduced from 27 feet to 24.5 feet. That was really good news. That meant that water would not be under the house at the highest crest. It might not even damage the electrical outlets in the shop and garage. Better and better. And then we got the call that said the mandatory evacuation was postponed, to be reevaluated in 48 hours. We were on the verge of packing the car when that news was confirmed. Better and better.

Within one hour of that news being shown on television there were people driving trucks pulling trailers full of furniture and appliances back into Butte La Rose. Amazing. It did not take us long to call two good friends this afternoon, once we knew the evacuation was postponed, and they helped take all the furniture down from the blocks. The house looks so much better. And the little 12 inch TV is back doing auxiliary work instead of being the main set in the living room. Only thing, the remote controls for the TVs were packed and sent to storage by mistake. Now we get to see how well all those boxes were labeled.

Checking my shrimp traps this afternoon I discovered four eels in one of them. The trap had had a lot of shrimp in it prior to the eels finding it, but now there were few shrimp and most of those were dead. The eels had eaten many and the slime from the eels seems to kill shrimp that can’t get away from it. These were the shrimp I was going to use to bait a line I intend to stretch across our back yard, if we are allowed to stay here beyond the next few days. Now I will have to try to catch more shrimp. Two of the eels, coming down the walkway, make me think “Oh my, here come the eels!!” in mock horror.

The river is at 21.36 on the Butte La Rose gauge, rising to 24 feet on the 26th. That is still almost a week away. At least we may be able to stay here to see it rise.

Rise and Shine, Jim

2 Comments:

Blogger Corrick family said...

So glad you get to stay home a bit longer - hopefully you won't have to leave! I don't know if you saw this article, but of course it made me think of you and yours. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/05/21/national/a052505D00.DTL&tsp=1
(sorry it's so long!)

May 21, 2011 9:41 AM  
Blogger shoreacres said...

I'd be pulling my trailer back in, too - but I don't think I'd unload just yet. An abundance of caution and all that...

I suspect there will be a little more sandbagging going on there this weekend. A lowered crest projection's got to reenergize some folks.

Those eels are cool, even if they did eat your shrimp.

May 21, 2011 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home