Riverlogue

This blog originates on the banks of the Atchafalaya River, in Louisiana. It proposes to share the things that happen on and by the river as the seasons progress. As the river changes from quiet, warm, slow flow to rises of eighteen feet or more, there are changes in the lives of the birds, fish, amphibians and reptiles that use the river. And the mood of the river changes with the seasons. I propose to note and comment on these things.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Butte La Rose, Louisiana, United States

I transitioned a few years ago from a career as a water-pollution control biologist. I want to do this blog to stay in touch with a world outside my everyday surroundings, whatever they may be. I like open-minded company and the discussion of ideas. Photo by Brad Moon.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

2011 High Water – Fourteen

Exodus from Butte La Rose. We are now somewhat established in the home of friends in Lafayette. I say somewhat not because we are somewhat welcome, far from it, but somewhat is the best we can do after leaving our house and coming to live in other people’s environment. We are very grateful, but it will take a little time to adjust.

I can’t say much about the river conditions from 25 miles away. But it is enough to know that it will not threaten our house and other buildings. When we can get back home, I will write a little about what we find there.

The picture is of the new Myette Point boat landing in St. Mary Parish under construction last fall near Franklin. The COE built the landing for water not to exceed 21 feet, I think. It is now complete and there is more than a foot of water over it. I wonder if they have flood insurance.

The river is at 23.0 feet today, cresting at 24 point something tomorrow. It will stay crested for a couple days and then gradually fall. The water that is coming around behind the protective guide levees will stay a nuisance for some undetermined time.

Rise and Shine, Jim

2 Comments:

Blogger shoreacres said...

I'm sure you must know this, but it's worth remarking that St. Martin Parish is doing a nice job of providing information and photos on their twitter page.

May 25, 2011 10:42 PM  
Blogger jim said...

I did not know, and now I do, thanks to you! Even though I write the blog, I'm really not on the cutting edge of modern communication technology. Thanks for the tip!!

May 26, 2011 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home